Listed below are 5 easy steps to eating healthy on a budget.
- Plan ahead- before heading to the grocery store, plan your meals for the week. Invest in meals like stews, casseroles, or stir-fries, which can be portioned out and stretched throughout the duration of the week.
- Buy in bulk- It is much cheaper to buy foods in bulk. stores such as Costco, Bj's, or Sams club can help to stretch your dollar.
- Compare and Contract- Locating the "unit price" of on shelf items make it easy to compare and contrast different brands as well as different sizes.
- Buy in Season- Buying fruits and vegetables in season can lower the cost and add to the freshness of your meal. Also if you are not planning to eat them right away, buy some that still need time to ripen.
- Eating out- Restaurants can be very pricey. if you are going to eat out, save money by getting the early bird special. 2 for 1 deals are great, and stick to water instead of pricey cocktails and sugary beverages.